Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas Card Portraits 2014

 

 
To learn more about photography,
sign up to receive my NEW Newsletter.
The sign-up form is on the upper right of this blog.
 
My very busy Christmas card portrait season is completed!
 
The Christmas portraits are always my favorite of the year.
As I have shared here many times, I LOVE scouting thrift stores
for clothing and props for my portrait work.
 
When I found this gorgeous vintage dress at a thrift store
over the summer, I knew it would take a special gal to wear it
because the waist is SOOO teensy!
 
Eleven year old Madelyn wears it so well.  I decided to
use it for this Christmas shoot after I found the pink
ornaments and pink pointsettia...of course, at a thrift store!
 
 
Fabulous winter wear is also a FAVE find, so
this year, I shot both indoors and outdoors.
 
 
Christmas trees make a wonderful, colorful background.
 
Just shoot with an aperture on the wide side. This was shot at f 2.8.
Place your subject as far from the tree as possible to
create the gorgeous bokeh.
 
 
In these photos, I had six-year-old Isabel facing a large window
to brighten her face with natural light.  I never use a flash.
 
 
Then it was outside in this wonderful thrift store coat, hat and gloves.
The ho! ho! ho! sign...also from a thrift store for 99-cents!
 
We didn't get snow as I was shooting my Christmas portraits,
but I show you how to add fake snow HERE.
 
 
All props come from...yep...thrift stores for pennies!
 
After I've used them a few times, I return them so others can find these treasures.
 
 
Yes....I found the green skirted chair...at a THRIFT STORE for $20!
 
I have used it many times in photo shoots.  I keep the furniture for reuse.
 
To snag my sparkly snow overlays that I used in these photos for FREE...click HERE.
 
 
Isabel's birthday is Christmas Eve, so I pulled together this
pretty look using my thrift store finds and adding snow techniques.
 
 
My grandniece Fiona is extremely photogenic with her natural
ringlet curls.  I photographed her in her grandmother's gorgeous
toile bedroom with natural light.
 
Her grandmother now has a 20 X 30 portrait of this framed
and matted hanging in that bedroom! 
 
Great idea to take a portrait in a room and hang it in the room!
 
 
Fiona should be a model.
 
At three years old...she is great at posing!
 
 
I ADORE natural light!
Just look for windows and pay close attention to how
the light is falling on the face.
 
 
I love Fiona's outdoor look in this creamy thrift store ensemble.
 
 
The muff and hat set is from Ebay where I won the bid at $12.
 
I have lots of thrift store flowers to spruce up hair and hats.
I simply hot glue them to little clips.
 
 
The inspiration for Miss Ella's cookie baking shoot
came when I found that cute Christmas apron at Goodwill.
 
I sewed the baker's hat from red scrap fabric and added
one of my flower clips.
 
The green vintage bowl was inherited from my husband's Aunt Blanche.
 
 
Ella needed lots of added snow to wear this
festive winter cape for her outdoor portraits.
 
 
I hope this post gets you to think outside of the
box for portrait sessions.
 
Thrift stores are a gold mine of props, clothing and IDEAS!
 
I'll share more of the portraits on Christmas Eve.
Enjoy your holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment